Sunday, January 11, 2009

Day 2 - Walking, Shopping, & Massage

Today we were on our own to do whatever we want. We walked around our hotel area a little and did some shopping, then we crossed the river and walked through a wholesale food district - which had some very strange things like dried seahorses, dried baby stingrays, tiger claws, tiger feet, and so much strange stuff that we had no idea what it was.

We then walked back near our hotel and found a Chinese Spa. We both got 2.5 hr foot, back and body massages, which included an herbal foot soak. Total cost was about $18 USD each. Can't beat that. It was awesome. Now I'm ruined forever. Not sure I could bear to pay $60 for an hour back in the US.

We met up with our group for the first time around 5 and went to dinner at a place called Lucy's. It was just ok, not very good. More like a touristy restaurant. After that we took a taxi to the Carrefour. It's like a Macy's level Walmart. Cost was 11 RMB to get there and 9 to get back. At our hotel we exchange $1 for 6.5 RMB (Chinese Yuan). We really didn't see anything we wanted at the Carrefour and just headed back to the hotel for the night.

Tomorrow (Monday) is what they call "Gotcha Day". We will be meeting and bringing back to our hotel Isabela at around 2:30 PM our time (Which is 13 hours ahead of US Eastern Time). We are extremely excited and inpatient for the big moment.

Some pictures below...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Leslie and Ray! I can only imagine the JOY you two are experiencing. Can't wait for more pics of your family.
Best Wishes,
Kim B.

Kimberly Pinar said...

Hi Leslie and Ray!

We are so happy and excited for you guys! I must say that I (Kim) am envious - 2.5 hour massage! I know you guys needed that after the long trip. Yumm dried sea horses straight off the street, now how could you pass that one up? (ewe yuck!) I can't wait to see pics of you both with Baby Isabela!

Kim and Taz Pinar

BTW... The post deleted by Jean was my post. I dıdnt realıze that I was logged ın under a dıfferent account. Sorry!

Animal Fan said...

How's the language barrier?

Keep the great posts coming. Very excited for the two/three of you. :)

- Glen

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you didn't try the chicken feet! They are actually pretty good. And the dried fish aren't bad either. Hope you are able to take a lot in. Welcome to China!
Mandy